In the continuing quest to reduce the amount of sugar I consume and whilst looking for something yummy to drink (apart from Prosecco!) I am now loving fruit infused water also known as Spa Water. Plain water will suddenly become really boring once you start to make your own cocktails using fresh herbs and fruits. We already know that it is so important to keep our bodies properly hydrated but keeping them hydrated without resorting to soda, caffeine or sugar laden juices is sometimes a challenge! Not any more.Plain water will suddenly become really boring once you start to make your own cocktails using fresh herbs and… Click To Tweet
With summer approaching, bringing an array of lovely fruit, it’s an excellent time to experiment with your favourite flavour combinations. One of the reasons I love these fruit infused water recipes is that you can use sparkling water to make them even more tasty plus this means my water hating hubby is also a convert.
Is It Healthy?
The recipe list is seemingly endless and there are combinations that have definite health benefits and these are the ones I am working my way through. You can use any combination that suits your tastes.
Metabolism Boosting & Fat Burning
Lemon, Tangerine, Green Tea, Cucumber, Mango, Mint & Ginger
Raspberry, Lemon, Blackberry, Blueberry, Pomegranate, Apple, Cranberry & Cinnamon sticks
Strawberry, Pineapple & Sage, lemon & Lavender
Kiwi, Lemon, Lime, Cucumber, Pear, Ginger, Mint & Cloves
Grapefruit, Kiwi, Strawberry, Pomegranates Tangerine, Green Tea & Mint
Fruit Infused Water, So Easy To Make!
You can use as much or as little fruit and herbs as you wish. It’s all down to your own preference. It’s that easy! Fruit, herbs and mineral water – done! Here are my top tips to create the perfect flavours.
- The longer you leave citrus fruit to infuse the more bitter your water will be so experiment leaving it in for different time periods to achieve the balance of flavour you like best.
- You can leave the fruit to infuse for between 4 – 8 hours. Taste it after each hour to decide your preferred flavour level.
- Fruit infused water will keep fresh in the fridge for 3 days.
- Flavours are released faster at room temperature. Infuse your fruit for an hour at room temperature before you refrigerate it.
- Remove the rind of citrus fruits particularly if they are not organic. You don’t want chemicals and pesticides in your healthy water! Thoroughly wash and brush other fruits.
- Use room temperature or cold water to infuse your fruit. Hot or boiling water will destroy the valuable vitamins and enzymes that fruit contain.
- Keep your fruit water in the fridge for 3 days and if it has been unrefrigerated for more than 4 hours do not use it. Like any fresh food it will deteriorate if left unrefridgerated.
- For an eco friendly drinking straw try these glass ones .
- Use fizzy/sparkling water as an alternative to still/natural water.
- Remove the fruits when the flavour reaches your preferred taste. The longer you leave it in the stronger the flavour will become.
My Current Favourites
We have two flavours that we are loving at the moment. Strawberry, Kiwi & Mint with sparkling water and Watermelon, Pineapple & Lemon using still water.
If you enjoy making these fruit infused waters you can buy special jars and bottles turning you into a complete professional. These are great for taking your fruit infused water out and about with you. Available in fun colours and many sizes, they are available here!
Have fun experimenting with different recipes and why not share your fruit infused water recipes with us in the comments box below. Your water need never be boring again!